Sunday, April 5, 2009

Honey, I've Shrunk the Dead Sea!


The million dollar question: How will Israel meet its end?
1. Destroyed by Arab neighbors
2. Destroyed by unceasing internal conflict (between . . well, . . everyone)
3. Environmental catastrophe

Okay, kids: time to put your money down! I'm not really a gamblin' woman but I wouldn't be surprised to see this place go up in metaphorical ecological flames. Is it part of the global meltdown or is it domestic irresponsibility? I don't know enough to conjecture.

Suffice it to say, among severe air pollution, trash multiplying faster than Chasids and loss of open space, domestic bodies of water are drying up -- and fast. Over
the past 50 years, the Dead Sea, the world's saltiest body of water and lowest point on earth, has seen its surface area shrink by a third. It is to this now diminutive natural wonder that Buppy and I took our very pleasant Sunday outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment